Pokemon Johto Battle Frontier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live your dreams and become the Johto Battle frontier champion.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Vote For Us!

TopLists
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Staff List
Admins
Byakuga
Shizuka
Maxulus
Kevin

Global Mods

Moderators
Zioyu
Affiliates
free forum

Statistics
We have 21 registered users
The newest registered user is eruevalti

Our users have posted a total of 1182 messages in 176 subjects

Training for Levels.

Go down 
4 posters

Would you be interested in this alternative way of leveling?
Yes, this sounds like a logical way to me.
Training for Levels. Vote_lcap50%Training for Levels. Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Yes, but for other reasons. (Please explain in a post)
Training for Levels. Vote_lcap0%Training for Levels. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No, it takes the purpose out of battling.
Training for Levels. Vote_lcap50%Training for Levels. Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
No, but for other reasons. (Please explain in a post)
 0% [ 0 ]
I really do not care either way.
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Ron

Ron

Training for Levels. Empty
PostSubject: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:36 pm

I have devised a simply system for leveling. It blends in well with the current level, via battling.

Battle Leveling

Level 1 - 20 ~~ 1 Battle per level
Level 21 - 50 ~~ 2 Battles per level
Level 51 - 100 ~~ 3 Battles per level

Training leveling

Level 1 - 20 ~~ 150 Words per level
Level 21 - 50 ~~ 250 Words per level
Level 51 - 100 ~~ 350 Words per level

If you watched or read, the anime or manga, you see that trainers train their Pokemon not only in battles, but in training sessions. it sounds logical, therefore, that, take pikachu learning iron tail and other trainings, that said pikachu must have "leveled" in the process. Not only that but the series shows trainers doing this type of training many times. This system will allow you to train your Pokemon on your own, without only battles. Doing this will require so many words before you get your level. Why? Well, Ash and turtwig did not stand still and turtwig suddenly learned to spin did they? This also accounts for the lack of having to deploy strategy, like you must in a battle. Note that, as this is a RP that is too relaxed for some of my tastes, I still lowered the word count to a range that is reasonable for most members already here.

As mentioned below, staff members will have the final say.

Last edited by Ron on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Etoile

Etoile

PostSubject: Training/Battling   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:02 pm

I, personally, have no issue with this. While the post count recommended for each level that might be gained by training sessions is still a bit high considering this is a relaxed RP- I find it reasonable, if you keep in mind that training sessions aren't required to level up. Battling is still of course, the fastest way of leveling up, but training is hands down the easiest.

In other words, having training sessions as another way of leveling can be seen as an advantage; perhaps too much of one. With battling, there is no guarantee that you will win and proceed to level up- whereas with training; all you have to do is simply write the minimum post count and voilĂ ! Your Pokemon has managed to gather the necessary experience in order to level. Easy and simple; generally I approve.

I however, do not have the final say. Staff members- please post here your decision, along with your own reasoning. A simple- YES, or NO will suffice.

A side note- keep in mind, that despite what I said earlier; there should be no guarantee that training will cause you to level. In my opinion, there should be a moderator to make the final decision on the matter, in accordance with the post's, or posts' overall quality.

EDIT: Since someone inquired as to how training would commence, here's the breakdown:

It's not complex in the slightest. Imagine a Beedrill practicing it's furry attacks. All you would have to do, is simply make a post [with the required word count] that explains what your Beedrill is doing to get better. He or she could perhaps be attack leaves that fall from a tree- or maybe attacking a rock nearby? It's hard to explain something like that, true- even for those with commendable creativity, Still, even if training is more difficult, and still only has the same amount of experience in the end as battling might- it is a choice to do so, not a necessity.

It's true, battling is the easiest and simplest way of leveling- but what's another way a Pokemon can condition, and hone their skills, without fighting? Training takes much longer, and is not quite as straightforward as battling; Think of any type of athlete- for example, a swimmer. Now, the swimmer could immediately jump into the pool and race against others in order to gain experience and fame- BUT. They could also spend some time TRAINING: swimming some laps to improve their speed, or perhaps practicing their breathing to improve endurance. "What does this have to do with a Pokemon's leveling?" Simple; Can a Pokemon truly become the best merely by kicking other people's asses? Yeah. They can. But for those with a less violent and straightforward approach, training is another method to give their skills a boost. But if you think about, the outcome of training and battling is the same. Overall even- Battling does have an advantage over training, due to the obvious time difference. [Post count]

So you might ask- "What about the people who do both? Don't they have an advantage over both sides?" No, that's really not the case. This isn't some moral code or anything- it's not Star Wars LIGHT side or DARK side. Simplified:

Battle+Battle= Fastest
Battle+Training=Average
Training+Training=Slowest

The entire reason Training would be a good idea, isn't because it would give an advantage to those with more 'creativity'- rather, it's created to get rid of a disadvantage that some people might have: if they weren't good at battling. It would be simply another option for trainers- making things less constricting on current and future members. If you have any more questions, simply post them here, and I'll do my best to answer.

EDIT[2]: The following topics have been made to further prove the differences between training and battling- as well as how there is no real advantage to training as opposed to Battling. As said before, battling still has the overall advantage, but training was simply created to have an alternative to battling. Take note of the differences; time, word count, and quality in general. You'll see that training requires more of all of these, yet still only produces the same amount of experience as a battle might.

Training thread: https://pokemonjohtobf.forumotion.com/route-38-f49/test-training-levels-t173.htm

Three posts were made, representing each type of post that would be made for different level Pokemon. One for 1-20, one for 21-50, and one for 51-100.

Battle thread: https://pokemonjohtobf.forumotion.com/route-38-f49/test-battle-levels-t175.htm

A chain of posts were made, and compared to the training thread, these were far more unorganized. There were no guidelines, no minimum word count, and much less time was taken for each post.

As to why it's necessary for me to provide so much information in a simple explanation of training vs battling, I do not know. I just hope that all of the time spent in editing and simplifying things for every reader doesn't go wasted. AGAIN- keep in mind that neither training OR battling are requirements.

Last edited by Etoile on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ron

Ron

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:08 pm

I agree, I failed to mention that it is not the WORD COUNT themselves, but the QUALITY in a way. 150 words and every word is miss spelled.... Again i am not a staff member, I just felt I should mention this. I might edit my post to mention that staff have to approve.
Back to top Go down
Sia
Admin
Sia

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:58 pm

I say yes but it will seem hard to organize the word training
Back to top Go down
https://pokemonjohtobf.forumotion.com
Ron

Ron

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 11:03 pm

You can have a "Training Mod" that takes care of it. That might work. If there are more people maybe 2 or 3 mods just for that.
Back to top Go down
Raventheclaw

Raventheclaw

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:17 am

This is a concept that I would completely agree with. However, "quality control" would have to take place, but how would you rate the quality? If one simply counted words, and grammar mistakes, I would feel that maybe some of the creativity would be lost, and therefore this system would become abused. A system would have to be implemented to rate grammar, word CHOICE, and imagery/creativity, for example if a trainer, coordinater, or breeder were to be "training", and they decide to train their level 50 Salamence. I feel that due to the Salamence's status as a psuedo-legendary would require not only a minimum combined post length of 350, but also word choice, and imagery suitable to said status. This seems strict but in practice this system would be less barred, and most likely up to the "Training Moderators."

Also, if a trainer were to be training a level 10 (insert Pokemon) and they posted a 350 word explanation, lacking good imagery, but had impeccable grammar, OR say that everything was perfect. Does said Pokemon gain three levels, or does it just get one level for meeting the pre-requisites set by its current level? Does a words-per-post cap exist in this system, or would there be a cap on how many levels could be gained per post. Perhaps on a system of thirty?

Grammar
1-12
Word Choice
1-6
Imagery
1-12

Back to top Go down
Etoile

Etoile

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:36 am

Unfortunately, I think it would be best to leave such things regarding creativity out of the grading system. While people certainly wouldn't do their best in terms of quality- it would diminish the disadvantage -as Dust stated- that would have been given to those with less of a knack for creative writing. In other words, The system really should revolve entirely around a set post count, and the mod's decision to reward such. If a training thread kept repeating "He hit it, he hit it, and then he hit it harder', then no- levels would not be rewarded.

Anything with the slightest bit of reasoning should be rewarded with a level, because otherwise- it would be left to the mod in question entirely, and be purely objective. And of course- who would waste their time making a post larger than the usual, simply to be put down by someone who didn't like the way they write?

As for the type of Pokemon- Legendary or not, that shouldn't make a difference. Keep in mind, training revolves more so around the writer's ability to describe what's happening, more so than the Pokemon's ability as it is. After all, even Legionaries have to go through battles and training to level up; there should be no difference in difficulty. I understand what you meant- the environment would have to suit the Pokemon chosen to train- but that goes without saying, doesn't it?

As for the impeccable post you mention; if there is indeed something so remarkable that it has to be taken in to question whether or not it deserves any more reward than what was previously set- then said thread would likely have a debate much like this one. If that were to happen, then yes- that situation would end with objective viewpoints, and they would make the final decision. Keep in mind, such decisions would only take place if a questionable thread was created. I- honestly- don't believe such a thing will happen, though.
Back to top Go down
Raventheclaw

Raventheclaw

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:52 am

Okay, I understand your point. However what i meant to say was that for each range of levels was that they would have to meet a certain number, but once again that lends an advantage to people who have more experience writing.... i rest my case.

I agree that this needs to implemented.
Back to top Go down
Etoile

Etoile

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 1:47 am

That was implied by the whole 'this should be people who can write a lot' thing we were talking about earlier. That's why I keep saying, this isn't a requirement, people can do it if they want to. Especially since battling is just plain easier/faster. I'd say Training is only for those who have experience writing essays, and aren't all that into leveling up by simply battling. So yes, there would be an advantage to those who have more talent in terms of writing- but AGAIN- those who don't have such talent don't have to do this, and can simply stick to the basic leveling routine.
Back to top Go down
Raventheclaw

Raventheclaw

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 5:26 am

I am agreeing with you, that my scale would give better writers an advantage, but what i left out was that on my scale the poster would have to meet an assigned number based on quality, etc, etc. To train a level 10, to level 11, one would have to reach a rating of 10 or more. level 21 to level 22 would need say 18, and level 50 and up would need 22. I was simply stating that it would give better writers an advantage. Also, I never said that this would be the only way to level. Why anyone would make this method THE ONLY way to level is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
Ron

Ron

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 4:29 pm

I agree, what is a level 2 pokemon training does 350 words or beyond? I would think that perhaps they get more. After all, if they wrote more, they should get more? So if a level 2 pokemon wrote 450 words of training in a single post, that is 450/150, they would earn three levels right? If A pokemon was level 19 and wrote 450 words, that is two levels, the first being below level 20, so 150 words, the second being lvl 20, so needing 250 words. meaning they wrote 50 words too much perhaps. I think Raven is right in saying righting more earns more, as long as you have earned that amount on the chart.
Back to top Go down
Etoile

Etoile

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 pm

I was under the impression we were speaking in terms of quality, with the whole 'impeccable' thing. Of course, anyone who works harder deserves more of a benefit; that should go without saying. O_o
Back to top Go down
Raventheclaw

Raventheclaw

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:20 am

Like you said though, a post that repeats "he hit the rock over, and over." (etc etc) would not receive levels. The quality of posts would become a standardized system. Just for ease, but once again the PQ/L scale would give the advantage to people with better writing abilities. However, "training" wouldn't be required, like you said. It is simply another way to gain levels. The quality of a post, if left up to a biased view point without context could become hectic as each individual training moderator would be using a different method.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training for Levels.   Training for Levels. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Training for Levels.
Page 1 of 1